Combating Comment Spam
Spam can be very annoying, and if you are feeling frustrated about getting too much spam on your website, trust us, you are not the only one. But, luckily, there are ways to successfully combat comment spam, and we are going to show you some of these ways.
1. A good way to combat comment spam is to use the Akismet plugin. It’s a great tool, and you don’t even have to download it, because it already comes with WordPress by default! That’s how good it is. All you have to do is just activate it, and let it do the rest of the work. The Akismet plugin for WordPress is something that you should definitely keep activate, more so because it is free, and already comes with the installation of WordPress. You already have it, and it does a great job, so there is no reason for you to not use it!
2. Think about having nofollow comment links, because otherwise, you are putting yourself in the way of getting a ton of comment spam. Making comment links do follow might seem like a good idea for getting more comments, but it can just backfire rapidly, filling up your comments with unwanted spam.
3. A very smart way of combating comment spam is using cookies. If you’re wondering just how that works, here’s a little explanation. You see, when spam bots spam, they avoid downloading images and stylesheets, to be able to leave more spam, on more places, quicker. Using the Cookies for Comments plugin, you send your users a stylesheet or image every time they enter a place where there is a comment form. So, if their browsers download those images or stylesheets, they get a cookie, and are always identified as legit. It’s simple, but very effective.
4. Think about using Honeypot to block bots from spamming your comments. If you want to use the honeypot technology, first you will need to get the WP Spam Fighter, and when you activate it, just enable the honeypot protection, and you will do yourself a great favor.
5. Lastly, think about adding user verification to your comments. By simply using a plugin that has reCaptcha, you will be greatly limiting the abilities of spam bots, and you are going to make your comments cleaner. It doesn’t, however, block people from spamming comments, but at least they block the spam bots, and that’s a great deal of the job done right there.
All these things can be put to great use in fighting comment spam. Implement a few of them on your website, and you will find that your spam has greatly gone down, which is something you wanted in the first place. Although spam can be very frustrating, there is no reason to get hung up on it, because fighting it is easier than what most people think. You just have to know a few things, and voila, the spam number on your comments has dropped and you are less frustrated because of it!